What are some items from your home country that you would recommend newcomers bring?

What are some items from your home country that you would recommend newcomers bring?

chajones
Administrator
Original Post
What are some items from your home country that you would recommend newcomers bring to their new teaching post? (Ex.. Korea: bring Koolaid packs, Lil Debbie snacks and Mrs. Dash seasonings :)

Tiny Shim Toilet tissue, Deodorant, Hair care products, towels, wash cloths, movies, books and a laptop.

Lena Tisdale tampons, makeup, lotion, if you use a specific face wash bring that, toothpaste (they don't do fluoride toothpaste in Korea)
Tuesday at 11:01am · Like ·  3

Dara Coleman deodorant, toothpaste, seasonings, sheet sets (I can't find a flat sheet here under 70,000won), underwear,tights and bras
Tuesday at 12:37pm · Like ·  4

Rachel Thomas Hair products especially if they are natural.
Tuesday at 12:58pm via mobile · Like ·  5

Rachel Thomas And games such as scrabble, taboo etc
Tuesday at 12:59pm via mobile · Like ·  2

Terri Davis Good hair conditioner. The water is pretty harsh.
Tuesday at 1:09pm via mobile · Like ·  1

Stephanie Brown All the good black products. Ex. black soap, shea butter, cocoa butter, and essential oils.
Tuesday at 1:10pm · Like ·  5

Lileko Lishomwa Bras and marmite
Tuesday at 2:23pm · Like

Monica Walker Peanut butter, coffee, spices and definitely any black cosmetics you can find! Somehow I don't think Korean cosmestics stock anything in my lucious mocha shade! Oh, and if I could have fit it in my luggage...one of those egg crate bed bads...I might as well be sleeping on the floor for as hard as my bed is!
Tuesday at 2:24pm · Like ·  2

Monica Walker pads not bads...sorry :)
Tuesday at 2:25pm · Like

Lisa Maria Swedarsky yes definitely your favorite spices, flavored coffee creamers if you like coffee creamer, I have found most everything I need over here though. Many have said that if you wear a larger size shoe they are hard to find here..
Tuesday at 10:44pm · Like ·  1

Sharon Holmes LOTS of sulfate free shampoo, b/c the water here is harsh. Like evy1 else said makeup, BRAS (if ur not an A-B cup ur screwed here), panties. Other necessary hair products and skin care products your used to.
Tuesday at 11:44pm · Like ·  1

Tiffany Marcella Lewis Enough clothes for a year, keeping in mind the different seasons. I know that goes without saying, but I was ill-prepared my first summer here. I had NO weather-appropriate work clothes. My co-teachers actually thought it was funny :(
Wednesday at 12:45am · Like ·  1

Marshalette Wise hair gel
Wednesday at 12:52am · Like

Stacey Foster Black hair products, deodorant, sensitive skin soap, facial cleanser
Wednesday at 1:28am · Like ·  3

Stacey Foster Korean spices are pretty fine to use. I used salt, black pepper, garlic, onions to season my food. btw has anyone here tried the oyster sauce to cook their chicken (or whatever else)? It's divine! Yummmmm
Wednesday at 1:30am · Like

Trina Roach In the beginning, I used to almost bankrupt my parents with my requests to send me this or that. When I was home I had a "to eat" list, which included hoagies, Philly cheese steaks, egg foo yung, Pop Tarts, etc. And needless to say, I used to come back from every trip home with suitcases full of as many of the things I thought I couldn't live without as possible...

Now, though - with the exception of clothes (due to the price), English-language books, and (some) make-up haircare products - I find I'm hard-pressed to think of anything I seriously miss when I'm in the States. There are just too many things that are readily available here if I really had a hankering for them, as well as equally good - or superior - local products. I much prefer European chocolate because of the superior quality of even the "normal" brands; I'm not interested in too many processed foods, so Eggos and Pop Tarts, etc., aren't on my list; I grow my own herbs or buy them fresh at a local market, and love to experiment with the spices available here.
Wednesday at 2:00am · Like ·  2

Lisa Hayes Well, I LOVE Korean food, so perhaps my books and making sure I have laptop with skype, or facetime on it.
Wednesday at 6:25pm · Like ·  1

Sophia Walker DEODORANT!!!! Koreans don't really use it and when you can find it, it costs about $8. Bring at least 2 months worth to start out with. You should bring specialty spices like jerk seasoning or extracts if you're into cooking. I brought pumpkin spice extract and mango extract for my famous pancakes ;-)and make military friends they can get you on base to get "Western" things from the PX/commissary I go once a month:-)
Wednesday at 7:52pm · Like ·  2

Trina Roach I agree on the deodorant, too, Sophia. Although there are a lot of (also inexpensive) deodorants on sale here, German products simply don't seem to do the trick. Americans tend to go overboard when it comes to commercialized personal hygiene, but a good deodorant is a must, and I hoard my "Secret" like it was gold....
Wednesday at 9:29pm · Like ·  2

Stephanie Brown If your looking for a natural deodorant you can use extra virgin coconut oil. If you want to order from a website you can order from Iherb.com. They deliver internationally and they usually get you your products within 3-5 days. Please enter a special code for first time buyers discount VUP212.
Wednesday at 9:37pm · Like ·  3

Sophia Walker Really Trina! The ONLY form of deodorant I've see here was a roll on by Nivea...oh yeah and I've seen some on the "American black market" lol
Wednesday at 9:56pm · Like ·  2

Stephanie Brown ‎Sophia Walker and boy don't they charge a fortune on the American Black Market.
Wednesday at 10:08pm · Like ·  2

Jo Gan I have lived in China for 4 years now....
Wednesday at 10:55pm · Like
Ms. Cha Jones (Seoul)