How do you deal with your perspective holidays or days of celebration in your perspective countries?

How do you deal with your perspective holidays or days of celebration in your perspective countries?

chajones
Administrator
Origin Question:

Holidays: I know everyone on here isn't from America and may celebrate many different holidays. So, with that being said....How do you deal with your perspective holidays or days of celebration in your perspective countries? Is it difficult and has anyone dealt with depression or feelings of loneliness because you're so far away from family?

Answers:

Tiny Shim I didn't celebrate the American holidays while I was there so it felt GOOD not to feel "different" because I wasn't celebrating them! That has been the GREAT part of being here for me! :0)
December 1 at 9:50am · Unlike ·  1

Dawn Bosman For me it was just staying open to the idea of spending the day with new people and not being alone.
December 1 at 10:50am · Like

Lileko Lishomwa No, because other expats are 'orphans' also during the holiday season and we all seem to band together and make our own family. And each year there are new faces at the table and its what you make of it.
December 1 at 10:53am · Like ·  3

Brittany Menifield Had a Xmas party in kfc while in japan! I love u colonel sanders ;)
December 1 at 12:48pm · Like ·  1

Kim Tae-Hee YES! omg... my first thanksgiving n christmas abroad in SoKo and it was horrible. I didn't cook a feast and the teachers were mandated to attend an after hours combined celebration. They tried to mesh the Korean and American foods but it wasn't that successful. Furthermore, it was "forgotten" that I was a vegan and therefore had no food to eat. The mgr rushed over to a store and got a slab of tofu, and served it to me raw with a brown sauce drizzles on top, accompanied with sweet red bean fill bread on the side. I was miserable and hungry, got home and felt lonely and cold next to my cold apple computer that only came alive when I began a my SKYPE date with my Fiancee!!! :/
December 1 at 2:58pm · Like

Cha Jones Thank you ladies for sharing.
December 5 at 9:59am · Like

Aneika A. McDonald My first year here I booked a trip to Jeju, specifically to avoid waking up alone in my apartment on Xmas morning. I've since adjusted to being away from home during the holidays but I do indeed get a little sad. I'm a very sentimental person. This year is especially hard because all my friends have left Korea. Luckily I'll be home for Xmas this year though so there will be no depression this year. :-)
December 5 at 10:17am · Like

Monique Simpson i haven't been home for thanksgiving/christmas since 2004. my first christmas away my japanese friends surprised me with cake and gifts bc they knew it was my culture. most christmas/new years i travel to a new neighboring country (cali, colombia, has a great salsa festival ^^). i'm enjoying a new culture/country, so it is a little bit harder to get sad and lonely. and for thanksgivings, i find some fellow foreigners and we do something.
December 5 at 12:43pm · Like ·  1

Stacey Foster Yeah Xmas & Thanksgiving and SoKo was depressing for me..terribly depressing. However I just called my fam and talked about the good food they were having that I was missing out on and just sat there and daydreamed...lol
Tuesday at 2:56pm · Like

Karen Milord I try to surround myself with ppl that I love on the holidays. My friends have always been like family to me so it works out well and we don't have to spend the holidays alone. I either travel with them or do some type of house party/dinner.
Wednesday at 8:23pm via mobile · Like ·  1

Trina Roach I don't think I've been home for Christmas more than 6 times since 1974, and for Thanksgiving only once - if that.

In the beginning it was quite difficult, because my family tends to go all out for X-mas: loads of gifts, extended family members, huge amounts of food. In comparison the more conservative German celebration seemed life-/loveless. In the meantime, I realize just how stressful that time of year is for my family in the States. I welcome the shift away from too much consumerism (though the Germans on the whole have embraced it more since I've been here), and prefer a quiet time with my immediate family or alone with my SO.

I used to celebrate Thanksgiving with other expats and/or friends from the military when I lived in Heidelberg and Mainz area. We'd all get together for a potluck or one person would take on the responsibility of cooking for the whole crew. Now that I no longer live where there are lots of Americans (and because the day isn't a holiday in Germany anyway), Thanksgiving has become a mute point in my life, except for the call to my sister's house to say hi to the family. I miss them and all the great food, but - pilgrims and Indians not so much.
Ms. Cha Jones (Seoul)