Does anyone else ever feel burnt-out from traveling?

Does anyone else ever feel burnt-out from traveling?

chajones
Administrator
Hello All! I'm currently residing at home before a transition to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I lived in Korea for about 2 1/2 years, with 6 months traveling in Europe obtaining my CELTA and working in a summer camp in York, England (let me know if you are interested in this summer camp as I'm not returning next year). However, before I make a big move to Saudi Arabia, I've been thinking about staying home (Tuskegee, Alabama) for a few months. It just feels as though I need a break from traveling. . .it gets a bit lonely-missing family, friends, and just life at home. Does anyone else ever feel burnt-out from traveling? How to you cope with transitioning to a new country?

Cha Jones ‎Charon 'Cha Cha' Austin I think that is normal.Anytime you do something a period of time you can feel a bit burnt out. I did 14 months in Korea and went home three months, then I came back and I have been here another year at the end of this contract it will be another 14 months. I plan to go home but for me I know I don't want to stay there. However, I also want to travel the world in a different fashion because I feel a bit too old to be living in certain arrangements. So, yes take time and get refreshed and then hit the mat running on your new adventure when you feel that you have revitalized yourself.
November 12 at 7:10pm · Like ·  2

Ashley Brown ‎Charon 'Cha Cha' Austin.. Which program did you go thru to get the traveling CELTA, and how much did it cost?? Would love to be updated on your travels in Saudi Arabia!!
November 16 at 10:28am · Like
Cha Jones ‎Ashley Brown I have gotten several offer where they wanted me to leave this month to go to Saudi, ummm without the any certifications. Actually Footprints has a job now I believe. Check it out!
November 16 at 10:46am · Like ·  2

Ashley Brown I will, thanx.. Do you know of anyone else that's there? I'm waiting on Marshalette's response, because the amount that I can actually save living there will make is the deal-breaker
November 16 at 10:50am · Like
Cha Jones I think you can save a real decent amount. More than in Korea because I believe you get paid more and housing is still paid. From the contracts that I have seen it is not (the pay) way more than Korea, but still more.
November 16 at 10:52am · Like

Charon 'Cha Cha' Austin Hey, I applied to a group called Educational Experts off of Dave's ESL. Footprints also keeps me updated with jobs in Saudi. As far as money is concerned, I'll get paid quite a bit more than Korea because from my research there's also a fixed exchanged rate that's been in place for some time now. The company has worked with me every step of the way. I'm just hesitant because I really want to stay in the states for a while...

Also, in reference to CELTA, I took the course in Budapest, Hungary at a cost of about 1325 usd and around 600 usd for single-person housing. However, if I had known that a hostel would have been cheaper, I would have preferred that option to stay within a modest budget. I took the CELTA course b/c I wanted to specifically teach in the Middle East. Though, it's ironic that after I take the course some companies/institutions don't require it...well, they'll usually give similar training as I've read or been told.
November 16 at 11:16am via mobile · Like ·  2

Ashley Brown Thanx Charon 'Cha Cha' . I have a TEFL.. I'll apply with Footprints once I get to my personal computer.. Thanx for the info!
November 16 at 12:24pm · Like ·  1

Monique Simpson ‎Charon 'Cha Cha' Austin I am very interested in the summer camp in England. I'm working in SoKo to save up for a year in London. Also, I've been teaching abroad for the past six yrs. (To be honest, the glow of teaching abroad has dimmed.) I usually spend two weeks to one month in L.A. per year. It's good to have a recharge at home. But, if I spend more than a month in L.A., I go into my L.A. mode (hair, nails, high living standards, etc.), which makes it hard to live in another country, especially developing countries.
November 17 at 11:35pm · Like

Stacey Foster ‎Monique Simpson I agree because I live back in L.A. now and it's hard to go from just being a nomad or gypsy back to the so called "fabulous life". I think coming back home is a greater transition than living abroad because you have to re-acclimate to the culture whereas in a foreign country you will be accepted as you are because you are a foreigner. Nevertheless being away from family is always hard. I cope by making sure I keep in touch but then again I was only gone for 1.5 years.
November 21 at 9:01am · Like
Cha Jones ‎Stacey Foster would you like to do an interview for the blog about the transition?
November 21 at 9:05am · Like

Stacey Foster Umm. Sure I guess. If it can help others why not?!
November 21 at 9:27am · Like
Cha Jones Ok...I will send you an inboax message to setup a time. Thanks sis!
November 21 at 9:29am · Like

Stacey Foster No problem sis!
November 21 at 9:37am · Like

Pamela Andrea Munoz Maybe I've been away so long that I don't find a need to go "home" for a long period of time. In fact, I find that a trip "home" makes me more tired and stressed, as I try to cram as much into the time as I can (e.g. doctors, dentists, friends, family, insurance, licenses, etc.). Of course I miss my family now and again, but that's what Skype is for - and the once a year visit to see them. Some may argue it's not enough, but it's enough for me! I find that vacation time alone or with friends is the change of scenery or pick-me-up that I need. Enjoy your time away from home and get ready for your new adventure in Saudi Arabia! You're a braver soul than I!
November 21 at 2:46pm · Like
Ms. Cha Jones (Seoul)